Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chaos in Dogland... our poor pup!

Alright so for the details of what we've been busy with these past couple of weeks.... the major source of stress and choas has been our dog Diesel. He is our baby and actually the spawn of our other two, he is the most wonderful dog I have ever owned and I have owned a LOT of dogs! He has the most amazing demeanor, he is super obedient, and never does anything wrong. He is mellow as can be unlike the other two spazoids we have. Really a true joy this dog is...

Long story short he has a long history of GI issues after his stomach surgery last March. He ate a rag and ended up with stomach surgery last year and has never been the same since. He can't gain weight like he should and is close to 25 lbs underweight. He can no longer eat dry food because he instantly pukes it back up so we have to blend his food with water in the blender at each meal. He's been a trainwreck since the surgery but happy as can be.

A couple weeks ago I noticed that he wasn't acting like his usual self and offered him some food and he wouldn't touch it, wouldn't even look at it which instantly threw me into a panic because I knew something was SEVERELY wrong at that point. I felt like we were having deja vu. We took him in to the vet to figure out what was wrong. It has been days and days of back and forth to the vet. They've done x-rays, barium studies, given him IV fluids, you name it.

It has been complete chaos.... with the x-rays we were prepared for the worst, that he had possibly eaten something again, luckily at least this far they have shown NO obstruction. This is a good and bad thing because we have no clue what is wrong with him... even the G.I vet specialists have no clue. Their solution was to do an exploratory surgery with a nice little price tag of somewhere between $5,000-$7,000 ::::choke:::: yea that's what I was thinking!! We certainly don't have that kind of money to spend on an exploratory surgery that may or may not even tell us what's wrong!

The good news is that he isn't a "critical" emergency case at the moment so we are postponing his treatment & diagnostic work until next week when we can get in with the head G.I. vet specialist in the country. He has worked on G.W. Bush's dogs and is nationally known for his expertise. He just so happens to teache at the CSU vet program about 2 hours from our house so we will take Diesel in next week to get his opinion. By taking him to the vet school we will get cheaper services since it's considered a "teaching" hospital so we'll see how it goes...

Between the dog, the baby, the businesses, and everything else we've been too busy to do much but that's the update.

3 comments:

Christine / SugarPlumTreasures said...

I was wondering how your pup was doing! We never seem too be on twitter at the same time. I will continue to keep my fingers crossed for you.

ElleJay419 said...

Poor guy :( Hope they can figure out what's wrong with him.

Momma Maven said...

yes it's still up in the air, we're waiting on the specialist still... I'll update once I know, thanks for thinking of us!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...