Sunday, October 11, 2009

Week 32: SLOOOWW Down Epiphany! My trip to Labor & Delivery

So this week started off with a bang, a trip to labor & delivery due to contractions. I knew exactly when this started that I had officially “overdone” it with the previous week’s activities. After our bbq, I spent the night in tears with excruciating back and leg pain, so bad that I had my hubby get up to start a hot shower for me at 3 am! Luckily, I was able to get back to sleep, but woke up and was having frequent Braxton Hicks contractions all morning. I was told to call the OB if I had more than 4 in an hour. When I finally decided to time them I had about 6 in just 15 minutes! So after an hour of monitoring and timing them I called the on-call doc. He told me to take 2 Extra Strength Tylenol, drink a glass of wine (alcohol is a smooth muscle relaxer) and see if they stop. Nope… no stopping, after my nap I was having about 8 in a half an hour so off to the hospital we went.

After arriving at the hospital I was taken from the ER up to Labor & Delivery for triage. They hooked me up and my contractions were coming every 3-7 minutes. I got the delight of having a fetal fibronectin test. The FFN consists of something similar to a pap smear with the speculum and all except they aren’t allowed to lubricate it since this can skew the results, yea can you say OUCH! The FFN test is an indicator of preterm labor and luckily my test was negative!

I also had the privilege of my first internal exam to check the dilation and status of the cervix. Ok, wow wasn’t expecting it to hurt that bad… I was sure she was reaching for my throat or something OW! Luckily again, my cervix was locked down! No dilation, no softening.

So to stop the contractions I was given a shot of Terbutaline, aka a CRACK shot! It spiked my heart rate to 130 bpm and I felt like I had overdosed on speed. Little guy was flipping around all over as his heart rate also jumped. Not fun but did the trick. So I was discharged on bedrest until my appointment later this week.

I was hoping that the contractions would cease but I woke up the following morning to more, about 10 an hour, so I took the Terbutaline pills aka crack pills. And they work to slow the contractions down to about 3-4 an hour. It is awful, I feel like I’m going to crawl out of my skin, I shake like I’m a tweaking drug addict, and yet I’m expected to sit still on the couch all day ha!
So we’ll see if this continues and what the doc says at my next appointment. I would die if I had to do this for another 4+ weeks ugh so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Moral of the week is that I have finally realized that I can’t do things like I used to. I MUST stop and remember that I’m 8 months pregnant… easier said than done. Ok universe, I hear you, I will slow down.


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...